Thursday, September 9, 2010

TV and its effect on the world as we know it!

Television is a drug.  Its not as addicting as heroine or cocaine but it can be just as destructive.  For example my neighbors are constantly arguing with one another, which is perfectly normal, but their arguments never progress or conclude.   For three years now they have been stuck in this sort of limbo where the all yell at each other for everyday for at least a good twenty minuets.  They also have three televisions.  Two huge HD in each of the family rooms and one small one in the parents room. From personal experience I know that television allows one to escape from reality for a short time.  Don't misunderstand though, getting away from messy situations is important and temporally escaping is sometimes necessary.  The problem I have with TV is how it never ends.  There is always another "must see show" or another "classic movie" playing and there all very good and meaningful, but when does it end?  When does the viewer get a chance to really step back and examine themselves. Even though television has not been proven to cause cancer or any other deadly diseases directly, the values and ideas expressed on many of today's popular shows do not encourage healthy balanced lives. Characters on these types of shows can either be ridiculously good at a mainstream and easily understood thing like signing or math, or the characters are either so pitiful that they make the viewers feel better about their own lives.  this does not encourage self improvement or hard work.  With out work real people can not change or achieve goals, and thus slowly their lives can slowly deteriorate. It adds to the consumption culture that we Americans live in today. 
The whole reason I'm witting this is that I am addicted to television.  I don't remember the last day that I haven't watched a show.  Its gotten to the point where I go home to just go home and watch television.  Its a gross habit and its not the kind of person I want to become.  I want to fight it off but as of now I feel pretty helpless.  The good news is that I don't think I can dig my hole much deeper but its going to be one  hell of a whole to climb out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment